Collection: Part 1

Reflect

09/11/17

Idea Factory 

Idea Factory was our project today. We had the day to develop ideas based on our research into a practitioner, a material, and a process. Our group was assigned with theme of feminism, clay as material, and the method of connect as the process. During the group discussion, we started searching for similarity between the concepts. 

I thought about the shape of the sculpture. One research reference introduced by my group member that influenced me was the book cover of  "We: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere", which is consisted with three circles that link each other. I find the strength and balance within the shape of circle relates to the inner strength of women. My first idea was to build a figure which is consisted of rings and emphasize on the idea of balance.

Through today's thinking process, I develop the understanding that feminism is about breaking the stereotype and free women from limits set by the majority and society. 

I plan to gain more knowledge about feminism on tomorrow's research in library.

Mindmap

Book Cover & 1st Draft

09/14/17

Idea Factory presentation. 

At the beginning of class, we are asked to rethink 12 solutions to our theme in a limited time. This process gave me many new thoughts. I think it is an useful method for generating ideas. At the presentation, I am inspired by other's sketchbook visualization on ideas in the ways they design layouts that help clarifying ideas. For the next project, I decide to include more research pages on sketchbook and my thought process.

Overall, I learnt to follow a procedure for design through this project. The topics were unfamiliar; however, through researching and narrowing down my interests, I began to have ideas and was able to develop them gradually. It is important to not be frightened by unfamiliar topics; just like to untie a mess of strings, I can learn and recognize the key points on a topic, which will eventually lead me to a solution. 

9/19/17

USE IT

Product Design Presentation Notes:

• Different scales
  • Innovative materials
  • Overlapping relationship between products
  • Dominic Wilcox
  • Droog - "Do Hit Chair"
  • Matino Gampaer "100 Chairs in 100 Days"
  • Ron Arad
  • Dezeen
  1. Stacking
  2. Work
  3. Swinel
  4. Folding
  5. Rocking
  6. Outdoor
  7. High
  8. Dining
  9. Low
  10. Lounge
  11. Visual language
  12. Fit with environment 

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

09/18/17

WEAR IT 

JFFA pathway presentation

• Balance
  • Weight
  • Distortion
  • Extension
  • Structure
  • Restriction
  • Suggesting Movement

Three Keywords:

1. Suspend
  2. Support
  3. Surround

Sketching 30 ideas in a short time was challenging to me. At first I only used wires to make a small model of my idea. After gaining more confidence on the structure, as suggested by our tutor, I used bamboo sticks and wires to built a triangular structure, which resembles to the main structure of the original plan.

I find the mindset to create something around human body is interesting; however, I still think more 2-dimensionally while designing the jewelry. Also I realize that I enjoy the  process of designing more than actually making the object.

To improve my final design, I want to add more small branches from the triangular shape, and eventually connect the details to demonstrate more clearly on my idea of a jewlery inspired by a balance scale; and the idea of balance and faith.  

09/21/17

Build It 

Presentation Notes:

• Flat surfaces / Planes
  • Triangle - Stable structure
  • Pavilion - Building for temporary uses
  • Idea of Interiority
  • Lighting - Calm or Exciting
  • Container / Enclosure
  • Repeating one shape
  • Art or Function (Influence by size?)
  • "Spacious Earth"
  • "Strand beasts"
  • Utility
  • Visibility
  • Ventilation
  • Sounds / Solid walls?
  • Communication
  • Sustainability

My current major interest in art is Graphic Design; for it can spread concepts in very fast speed and create influence to the world. I enjoy the process of editing and adapting an design. I'm also interested in fine art; so my goal is to combine commercial uses, visual aesthetics, and influential concepts to my design. 

So far I think Diagnostic mode has inspired me. I have gained experiences on problem solving, thought process, think creatively on a variety of areas, such as jewelry design, product design and architecture. 

On today's class, we have done research on  representative architecture examples before building our own model. We had summarized that architectural structures, are mainly adapted from simple geometric shapes. A huge building is consisted of many small sections, and changes made to these can result in differences on ventilation, lighting, sound transmission, and functions. 

When drawing an object realistically, It is attempting to me to analyze the objects in few large sides in different light scale. When illustrating, I'm attracted by small details and create the picture in similar ways as building a structure by small parts. When designing, I consider both the  prominent impression of the design and the details that made up the design. 

I think an end result achieved through solving problems in multiple perspectives is better than, even numerous times of editing, from solely one approach. Although I'm comparatively weak in building 3D structures, I still enjoy the process; for that I develop the mindset to design in human-centered perspective, and creating contrasts in interior space and external space(similarly foreground and background in 2D Design). Furthermore, I discovered that an interesting way to place emphasis on 3D structure is to create distortion and break the balance. This method can also be applied on design for it creates motion in poster/logos. 

9/25/17

Fashion & Textile Day 1 - Your Surroundings

20170926_053654.jpg.2      20170926_053717.jpg.2

20170926_053727.jpg.2

20170926_053857.jpg

20170926_053835??.jpg\

IMG_0822??.jpg.1

20170925_125807.jpg

paperdress.jpg

9/17/17

CA06848F-C0FF-4471-BD3B-F18BE3EC765F.jpg.1

10/08/17

Graphic Communication / Day 1 / Poetic Cardboard

FullSizeRender 3.jpg.3

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg.2

10/09/17

Graphic Communication / Day 2 Lost Letters

In today's illustration class, we work under a limited palette of red and black to design a pattern or an illustration around an alphabet letter or number. The teacher encourages minimalism, for that everything on the paper will have a meaning, more than simply decoration. I feel my pattern has many decoration aspects (especially the wave consisted of many detailed curves), which probably weakens the design in impact. Since the contrast between color red and black create strong graphic impact, I discover that more efficient uses of negative space and more broad lines or full color background will create a more suitable design. After class, I did some research and found a Chinese artist called Min Liu who mainly works in red and black color animation. Even some of her works are highly detailed, she always find a solution to enhance contrast in the picture. I tried later in photoshop to paint the originally white background in my pattern to black, and it seems to unite the pattern a little bit. In the process to turn the flat picture to a moving animation, I develop a story plot in which the jellyfish has been given life by the spirit of the river, and soon the people on the bridge are falling into the fish's mouth. This is my first time working in AfterEffect to make an animation, and I find it interesting in that by simply adjusting the scale, position, transparency of a frame, the images started moving. 

IMG_1562.png

IMG_1842.JPG

10/11/17

Graphic Communication Day 3 SITE SPECIFIC

?? 2@3x.png.1

?? 1@3x.png

10/13/17

Tate Modern : Graphic/Op Art/ 

Inspired by how graphic art can be curated in gallery and how the op art artists applied geometric shape to convey a sense of changing light direction to create a mesmerizing effect visually. 

10/19/17

Photographing my friend.

Through black/white nude photography, I see absolute contrast while the occupation of grey area enhances the softness/clarity of the picture. 

I experiment with using dim room light with slower shutter speed/flashlight. In the end I used less flashlight for the recording of details.

10/21/17

Graphic Communication: Interaction

• Research 5 examples of graphic design in daily life 

1. Text on Transparent Surface

INTERACT DESIGN PRIMARY RESEARCH2.jpg

2. Graphic design on beer bottle

INTERACT DESIGN PRIMARY RESEARCH.jpg1.1

3. Graphic design connect with color of radiative red/ sense of energy and heat

IMG_2826.JPG.1

4. How color black change the temperament of space 

INTERACT DESIGN PRIMARY RESEARCH.jpg.1

5. How change in form (an upside down chair = storage) connect with a different function

IMG_2828.JPG.1

10/28/17

United London Gallery

IMG_2671.JPG

National Portrait Gallery

IMG_2710.JPG  IMG_2743.JPG

Zabrowski collection : Haroon Mirza / HRM199: FOR A PARTNERSHIP SOCIETY

Haroon-Mirza-hrm199_Pathological-Theology-2017.-Tim-Bowditch-courtesy-the-artist-and-Zabludowicz-Collection_Low-Res-6124.jpg

(https://www.zabludowiczcollection.com/exhibitions/view/annual-commission-haroon-mirza)

10/29/17

Graphic Communication: White Space

Research

???-2.jpg.3

???-6.jpg

???-3.jpg.2

???-4.jpg.1

elevator.jpg

Manifesto

manifestover3.jpg

manifestover4.jpg

09/12/17

During library research, our group found these references:

1. The Raw and the Cooked New Work In Clay In Britain, published by The Museum of Modern Art, Oxford, 1993
  2. Introducing Feminism, Susan Alice Watkins, Marisa Rueda and Marta Rodriguez, 1999, published by Icon Book Ltd.
  3. Tekens & Ketens (Signs & Chains ),Pappbilderbuch, 1993
  4. 500 Figures in Clay Volume 2, Nan Smith, Juror, published in 2014 by Lark

I tried to find ideas through drawing illustration on the topic of feminism today. 

The tenderness and softness of women body parts contrasts with the concrete blocks that surrounds it. The sense of modern created by the concrete blocks is ironic in that they still limits the movement of the legs; Similarly with the current society's mindset on viewing women.  

FullSizeRender.jpg.3

FullSizeRender.jpg.5

?? 3@3x.png      ?? 2@3x.png

?? 9@3x.png      ?? 4@3x.png

9/19/17

The narrative behind my idea is to make a chair structure that has chair arms resembling an embracing gesture. During the observation period of sketching people in different sitting/leaning positions, I notice that they seem discomfort due to lack of chair back, more importantly, the chair arms seem slim and create stress for them to hold their sketchbooks. 

I tried to look at the design through both human-centered and conceptual perspectives. In my design, I split a large chair back from center and connect them with wires; aiming to release tension on the users back, even their neck and head for that they can lean back and feel the gravity pulling them. Conceptually, I'm interested in exploring how simple changes in shape enables a lifeless furniture to have human characteristics; or reversely, how shapes can transform an organism to lifeless form. 

During product design presentation, I'm inspired from discovering overlapping uses between two or more products and to think human-centeredly and to create efficient design. 

IMG_0510.JPGchairmodel.jpg.1 

IMG_0613.JPG.1     IMG_0608.JPG.1

IMG_0606.JPG.1

09/18/17

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 5.jpgFullSizeRender 6.jpg

jffa-final.png

09/21/17

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0628.jpg      IMG_0617.JPG.1

IMG_0673.jpg.1

IMG_0652.jpg    IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0792.JPG

09/26/17

Fashion & Textile - Day 2 Your Data

5things.png

table.png

2.png

20170926_153213.jpg

-.jpg

20170926_155131.jpg

10/05/17

Fine Art: Collection

Perennial Existence

In this project, I discovered my interest in collecting man-made scratches and marks. I find that they are representation and evidence of a being's behaviors and existence; which is significant to me in the aspect of questioning the idea of what should we leave in this world. I started by tracing man-made scratches on tables and walls.

IMG_1370.JPG

Afterwards, I record videos of behaviors relating to acts of engraving. The development of scale in the video is from scratching on erasers to hanging black tablecloths on white wall. I choose a continuous soundtrack of punching as the background music for the video to enhance the sense of persistence in attempts of leaving marks, even if they are disturbingly dull in the process. 

At the presentation day, my discussion group member comment the video as stressful and is of many tensions. I think the use of monochrome film and the monotonous background music attribute to the atmosphere the video gives to the audiences. I'm satisfied with the comments for that in my opinion, human's existence is very fragile and easy to be eased off by time; which construct a feeling of destined tragedy, therefore should bring stress to the viewers. I should edit the background music more so it will help the video flows more fluidly. 

10/08/17

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

10/09/17

IMG_1572 2.JPG.jpg

IMG_1609.JPG.jpg

IMG_1609-.jpg.1

10/11/17

IMG_1675.jpg

ctrl+zfile1.jpg

ctrl+zfile2.jpg

10/14/17

shouzhang.png

Man-made Snow found on Christmas sale.

Inspired by how materials connected with touch can lessen people's stress and how sensory outputs can influence people's mood.

Beyond basic geometric shapes, mundane objects can also be put in posters/covers to produce a connection with the object and the subject's characteristics. 

10/22/17

Graphic Communication: Interaction/Idea Generation

"The Limits of my language mean the limits of my world."

IMG_2830.JPG.1

IMG_2829.JPG.1

Brainstorming ideas / Consider about context/metaphor.

Our interpretation of the quote:

• a sense of restriction due to ability in language communication
  • a craving for knowledge
  • importance of language / culture / abstract, complex ideas
  • globally, internationally

Thoughts about how to demonstrate it: 

• hourglass
  • cloud
  • texts in different languages

IMG_2834??.jpg

IMG_2415.JPG

A photoshopped picture in representation of our interpretation to the quote. 

The upper part of the hourglass is filled with separate pieces of paper with different words. They are of large/small sizes in purpose to be able to fell down to the people in the bottom part of the hourglass or to be restricted and stayed in the upper part. 

The bottom part of the hourglass, is occupied with two people in different races trying to communicate. I layered the hand gestures to express a sense of helplessness during the passing of time.

A quote from 'The Temple of the Golden Pavilion' by my favorite author Yukio Mishima inspired the making of this photo: 

“As usual, it occurred to me that words were the only thing that could possibly save me from this situation. This was a characteristic misunderstanding on my part. When action was needed, I was absorbed in words; for words proceeded with such difficulty from my mouth that I was intent on them and forgot all about action. It seemed to me that actions, which are dazzling, varied things, must always be accompanied by equally dazzling and equally varied words.”

1moodboard.jpg 

moodboard.jpg

Moodboards. 

10/25/17

???? 2017-10-27 ??8.56.57.png

???? 2017-10-27 ??8.57.25.png

raressspace.wixsite.com/limitedlanguage

At first, we wanted to collect the definition of the words and present them at kx and record peoples reacting/discussing to it (maybe interviewing few audiences).

Afterward we thought making a website can help the information to be more widely spread between our friends, who are now in different countries. We thought of doing a screen recording of the comment section on the word's pages. However, we only got few comments. I thought about what comments I will make if seeing the pictures, and found it difficult to say something with deep connection to the word.

This is my first project about interact with public by design and I discover that I know a little about how to attract public's interest. I did a lot of thinking in choosing fine art or graphic communication when I realize graphic communication requires more than designing logo/posters/appearance of a concept, it also requires knowledge and building connection to the audiences through simple, strong visual in a short time (because people's attention is very scarce). I need to consider for others, such as how will they react,  what reaction I need, and how to communicate the ideas.

While in fine art,  I can be more free in expressing by focus on my interest, graphic communication requires me to step out of my world and connect with others, and many possibilities in different areas (Although some fine artists are also interested in communicate ideas and continually absorbing new concepts, for example. one of my classmate in Pratt summer school told the class that he aims to make people happy by looking at his paintings).

I feel that my view toward the world can sometimes be overly pessimistic and if I give myself the freedom to focus only on myself, I could become more self-enclosed in negative thoughts. However, I understand that my perspective is only one of many, countless possibilities in the world. I want to learn more about those possibilities, and design for a variety of companies, concepts, events.

I have read about the show of graphic communication graduates in 2017 from CSM, and discovered their works differ and some of them does not need to interact with public. I found my interest in Graphic Communication & Moving images more than interaction.  Maybe I can improve this project by re-design the visual for each word or make the animation of hourglass with people interacting for part 1 assessment.

10/31/17

1.

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2920.JPGIMG_2934.JPG

2.

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

09/13/17

The sculpture, from an abstract perspective, contains curve and edgy shapes to make the point that both sensibility and logic are within each women. There should be no right and wrong and no definition for how women should behave, how they should dress.

The inner circle structure resembles a burst of energy; which delivers the idea of feminism is growing from consciousness. Also, the way the legs are pushing the surrounding boundaries resembles the motivation for women to be free from limits by society.

The sculpture tendency of rolling forward represents stepping forward, and a call for action.

Aging Skin effect on some parts of legs demonstrate the connection between young and old women. The long fought feminism movement from older generation to younger generation create something similar within every one of them.

?? 8@3x.png

IMG_0258.JPG.3

IMG_0392.JPG.1

9/19/17

chairdraftpresentation3.jpg

embracingcharilogofinal.png 

IMG_0603.JPG

09/18/17

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

IMG_0498.JPG IMG_0499.JPG

FullSizeRender 8.jpg  

09/21/17

Build It - Visualization 

FullSizeRender.jpg.6

editfull.jpg 

lightning.png

editdimension1.jpg   edit2.jpg

editgraphic1.jpg

09/27/17

Fashion & Textile - Day 3 Your Interpretation

2.jpg  3.jpg  IMG_1074.JPG

patterns

---.jpg

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1150??.jpg.1

--.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg.3

FullSizeRender 3??.jpg

10/05/17

FullSizeRender 5.jpg.1

Perennial Existence

"Cause" | Graphic Animation Project

10/09/17

IMG_1572 2.png

???? 2017-10-16 ??6.59.19.png

people1.png

10/11/17

ctrl+zfile3.jpg

ctrl+zfile4.jpg

ctrl+zfile5.jpg

ctrl+zfilefin.jpg

10/16/17

TUTORIAL

My tutor viewed my workflow and sketchbook today. She advised me to 

• annotate my research images and photographs
  • Record my process to the final result in an more effective way in workflow and sketchbook
  • Be more analytical in writing up evaluation of my progress every day
  • Spend more time to consider how can I improve my ideas
  • Broadens the range of my secondary researching, such as exhibitions/books/movies

• record the storyboarding of my fine art video project
  • imagery/mark making for scratch research
  • reflective comments on the making process

• be more investigative/experimental

10/23/17

Graphic Communication: Interaction/Discussion

After brainstorming few ideas, and creating our picture and moldboards, we discuss our ideas with our teacher. 

Although we think the concept of making an hourglass (or animate it to project onto wall to interact with audience),  how it puts emphasis on words can not be comprehend due to difficulty in language, is suitable to convey our quote; the limited time to complete this project let us feel this is not the most efficient approach. 

Another idea I thought about: the hanging transparent paper sculpture inspired by layered drawing, appears to be more fine art and requires the audiences help to complete the work, rather than interaction and communicate an idea to the audiences. My partner thought about putting a big world map with blank space for people to write their language onto their countries; however it seemed that we could not develop the idea further and connect it with the quote.

Our teacher tell us to try to demonstrate the importance of language by focusing on special words in different cultures. He asked us to think about what are the words that cannot be easily express and understood in another language. By teaching those words to others, we actually help the communication between them. 

10/24/17

Graphic Communication: Interaction/Process

After a talk with our tutor, we decide to start by asking people from different races and tell us about one special word in their language that is irreplaceable (has difficulty to be translated into another language), and is of a complex/abstract idea or feeling. 

IMG_2841.jpg

Chinese, English. Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese

• Komorebi - Japanese

language6.jpg

• Uberschwinglich - German

interaction-language.jpg

• Azar - Spanish

language9.jpg

• Retrouvailles - French

language8.jpg

• Petrichor - English

interaction-language5.jpg

• Nonmigarba - Italian

interaction-language4.jpg

• Saude - Spanish

interaction-language2.jpg

• Xinyoulingxi - Chinese

interaction-language3.jpg

• Siwonseobseob - Korean

interaction-language6.jpg

11/01/17

street-.jpg.1

• Took street photos for project

IMG_3370.JPG.1

IMG_3373.JPG.1

• Visit to V&A Jewelry Exhibition

IMG_3044 2.JPG

• Visit to Griffin Gallery

11/02/17

Final

Outcome

This short film exhibits the contradiction between two mental states in people's daily life; in which one is to live purposefully and always on the way to a destination (represented by varies footage of people walking in the background), one is to spend time escaping from the busyness of city (enlarging portrait of a tired women taking a nap on train). The film aims to bring out the importance of white space in life and encourage people to slow down.

11/07/17

IMG_3774.png

IMG_3773.png

IMG_3774.5.png

IMG_3775.png